Common Choking Hazards in the Summer | First Aid Kit | Dechoker - Dechoker LLC

3-Year-Old Boy Chokes on a Corn Dog, Saved with Dechoker®

October 21, 2021

3-Year-Old Boy Chokes on a Corn Dog, Saved with Dechoker®

Kathy H, mom of three-year-old Jack, reported that having and using the Dechoker® saved her son from choking on a corn dog. Kathy's story, as it unfolded, is as follows:

"Jack is three and was choking on a corn dog. My husband tried to remove it without success. Luckily, we have had the Dechoker® in our house for a few years now, but this was the first we have had to use it. It was able to remove the bread and the hotdog on the first attempt. The bread went into the Dechoker®, and the hot dog went into his mouth, where we could remove it. We're lucky we had the Dechoker®, and we have ordered more for his grandparent's house. This device should be in everyone's home!"

 

Why Hot Dogs Are the Number One Choking Hazard Among Children

According to Johns Hopkins, hot dogs are to blame in 17% of food-related choking incidents among kids under 3. This is followed by candy, grapes, and nuts. What makes hot dogs so dangerous, and why are they the leading cause of choking in children?

First and foremost, children’s' airways are much smaller, and when it comes to foods like hot dogs and sausages, the risk is increased because of their size and consistency. Hot dogs tend to be the same size as a child's windpipe, and their soft, dense texture makes them a perfect "plug."

When preparing a hot dog for your child, never cut it into "coin-shaped" pieces. We recommend first slicing a hot dog lengthwise into four strips, then cutting those strips into smaller pieces of a half-inch or less. Dicing the hot dog in this way reduces the choking risk considerably. 

Secondly, very young children and toddlers don't have a full mouth of teeth for chewing correctly and haven't yet perfected the anatomical process of swallowing.

 Further, young kids don't have the same cognitive abilities that adults take for granted when it comes to eating, such as knowing how big of a bite to take or how long to chew before swallowing. The result is a higher likelihood of choking on all kinds of foods.

 

How Dechoker® Can Help Save a Life

Sadly, a child chokes to death once every two days, and statistics prove that help will not get to you in time. In the United States, emergency response time is on average 8 - 14 minutes. The Dechoker® should be used in conjunction with traditional treatments on anyone age one year or older.

The Dechoker® device is a life saving device which can be used as an airway clearance device on anyone 12 months and up. Dechoker recommends, first action Red Cross/AHA protocol if it fails continue CPR, and use the Dechoker device. Be sure and familiarize yourself with the Dechoker device and review our training video and be prepared before a choking emergency.

To use the device, simply apply the face mask over the mouth and nose and pull back on the plunger, which uses suction to clear the airway. No significant contact with the victim is required.

Even though most parents pay strict attention to what their children put in their mouths, accidents do happen. Keep your family safe by having the Dechoker® nearby. Choking tragedies are preventable! 



Also in Real Life Save Stories

Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl
Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

November 05, 2021

An 11-month-old girl got ahold of a piece of cantaloupe that had dropped on the floor. Her parents did not notice it until their little girl began to turn blue. A typical morning turned into a choking emergency within seconds...
Read More
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti

November 04, 2021

Despite our best baby-proofing efforts, some things slip under the parental radar—and many of those things are tiny. We're talking about loose change, pen caps, stickers and confetti. Unfortunately, these “little things” that we have around the house or use as party decorations can be choking hazards that often go unnoticed...
Read More
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli

November 04, 2021

On Friday, July 23, 2021, Kasandra’s 10-month-old son was eating butternut squash ravioli when he began to choke. Kasandra shared with us that her son turned completely blue, was listless, and losing consciousness. She used the Dechoker® device and thankfully the food was dislodged with one pull...
Read More