Common Choking Hazards in the Summer | First Aid Kit | Dechoker - Dechoker LLC

Dechoker® Saves 65-Year-Old Woman with Dysphagia from Choking on Dinner

October 21, 2021

Dechoker® Saves 65-Year-Old Woman with Dysphagia from Choking on Dinner

The 230th life saved by Dechoker® is of a 65-year-old female who suffers from Dysphagia. The woman's son reported this scary choking incident below:

"My 65-year-old mother has a medical issue where she chokes on food a lot. My sister texted me that she choked really bad at dinner but was able to dislodge the food enough to breathe but just barely, so they were on their way to the hospital. I said I had a Dechoker, and they could give that a try if they could wait 10 minutes for me to get there. She was lying down when I got there, and it only took 2-3 pulls to get it free. She was so grateful." - Brandon M.

 

Protect Your Aging Parents with Dechoker® 

We believe the Dechoker® is an invaluable component of any first aid kit. Arguably, every family should have a Dechoker®, but it's particularly critical for families with young children and elderly members, two groups at the highest risk of choking.

As we age, we're more likely to lose fine motor skills and develop various conditions that can make swallowing difficult. Examples of these conditions include dental problems, strokes, and neuromuscular diseases. Dysphagia is also common, which is a medical term for swallowing difficulties. People with dysphagia are far more likely to suffer a severe choking emergency.
 

Dechoker® Can Help with Dysphagia

In addition to choking, having trouble swallowing can lead to serious health risks. These include the following:
  • Respiratory illness: People with swallowing disorders often aspirate food and liquid. This means small bits are inhaled into the lungs while eating or drinking, which can cause harmful buildup over time. Inflammation is common, often leading to severe respiratory disorders such as pneumonia. This infection can be life-threatening for many older people.
  • Malnutrition: As swallowing becomes difficult, it's not uncommon for people to eat less or avoid certain healthful foods. The eventual result in these cases can be malnutrition, which leads to a weakened immune system and puts people at a higher risk for other illnesses. Dehydration is also common. Working with a nutritionist to develop an easy-to-eat, well-balanced diet plan can help in some cases.

These risks can be very serious, so it's essential to talk with your doctor right away if you believe you or a family member is developing a dysphagia or a swallowing disorder.

Futher, taking additional precautions, such as being certified in CPR/First Aid and having a Dechoker® nearby can help with not only peace of mind, but a
 

The Dechoker® With Traditional Anti-Choking Treatments 

The Dechoker® is designed to be used in conjunction with traditional anti-choking treatments. This includes treatments such as the back slaps and abdominal thrusts. Overtime, these methods can become less effective in a choking emergency, and methods such as the Heimlich maneuver come with risks for young children, elderly, and pregnant individuals. Further, they can be intimidating to perform.

The Dechoker® is simple and straightforward to use – you can even use it on yourself in a choking emergency. Simply place the face mask over the choking person's mouth and nose and pull back on the plunger to use the device. This creates suction that often clears the airway within seconds. 

To learn more about how to use the Dechoker® and listen to a member of our medical board click here.



Also in Real Life Save Stories

Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl
Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

November 05, 2021

An 11-month-old girl got ahold of a piece of cantaloupe that had dropped on the floor. Her parents did not notice it until their little girl began to turn blue. A typical morning turned into a choking emergency within seconds...
Read More
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti

November 04, 2021

Despite our best baby-proofing efforts, some things slip under the parental radar—and many of those things are tiny. We're talking about loose change, pen caps, stickers and confetti. Unfortunately, these “little things” that we have around the house or use as party decorations can be choking hazards that often go unnoticed...
Read More
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli

November 04, 2021

On Friday, July 23, 2021, Kasandra’s 10-month-old son was eating butternut squash ravioli when he began to choke. Kasandra shared with us that her son turned completely blue, was listless, and losing consciousness. She used the Dechoker® device and thankfully the food was dislodged with one pull...
Read More