Common Choking Hazards in the Summer | First Aid Kit | Dechoker - Dechoker LLC

Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti

November 04, 2021

Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti

Despite our best baby-proofing efforts, some things slip under the parental radar—and many of those things are tiny. We're talking about loose change, pen caps, stickers and confetti. Unfortunately, these “little things” that we have around the house or use as party decorations can be choking hazards that often go unnoticed.

Taylor was having a first birthday party for her daughter when another toddler at the party grabbed some foil confetti and put it in her mouth. Thankfully, Taylor had a Dechoker in her diaper bag and was able to dislodge the confetti that was blocking the little one's airway.

Taylor shared her story with Dechoker:

"I bought this [the Dechoker] as a ‘just in case’, and at my daughter's first birthday, her baby cousin ate some table foil confetti and started to choke! I calmly got it out of the bag and was able to suction out every piece!"

 

Why Toddlers are at Greater Risk of Choking

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, choking is one of the leading causes of death among children, especially toddlers age three or younger. It's no secret that kids at this age love to put everything into their mouths. Because a child's windpipe is much narrower than an adult's, the risk of choking is much higher. Toddlers also have less experience and practice controlling the food in their mouths and do not always know to chew food into small enough pieces.

 

Household Choking Hazards

Toddlers especially will explore the world by putting small objects into their mouths. Below is a list of some typical household choking hazards to remember:

  • Loose change, pens, and other "pocket stuff": Do you have a spot by the door where you drop keys, gum wrappers, and other pocket items when you come in? Is there always loose change on the coffee table? Are there pens here and there? It's time to find a secure home for all those small items that we tend to put down wherever. The next time you empty your pockets, do it with purpose.
  • Decorations and furniture: A surprising amount of home décor items contain little choking hazards, from a planter with pebbles to your refrigerator magnets. Check your furniture for loose buttons and appliances for loose parts, as well.
  • Drawers: Little ones love to open drawers. It may be time to pick up some child safety locks for bathroom drawers, junk drawers, and Mom's makeup vanity.
  • Balloons: Deflated balloons are one of the most fatal choking hazards, and children can't seem to resist putting balloons in their mouths, sometimes while trying to blow them up or often just while playing.
  • Big-sibling toys: After the phase where kids put everything in their mouths comes the age where all of their toys have a million tiny parts. Soon, baby number two or three comes along, and the amount of choking hazards in the home has increased drastically. Try to get older children involved in the cleanup effort by educating them about why their toys are dangerous to their younger siblings.

 

The Dechoker Offers Peace of Mind

Keeping all those little hazards out of the home is a constant challenge, but there's also something we recommend all parents keep in the house: the Dechoker. 

No matter how vigilant you are as a parent, the risk of a baby or toddler choking will remain. Our easy-to-use first-aid device can unblock a child's airway quickly in an emergency, when used in conjunction with typical choking first aid. Appropriate for anyone 12-months-old and up, the Dechoker can help you be prepared and offer peace of mind.


Also in Real Life Save Stories

Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl
Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

November 05, 2021

An 11-month-old girl got ahold of a piece of cantaloupe that had dropped on the floor. Her parents did not notice it until their little girl began to turn blue. A typical morning turned into a choking emergency within seconds...
Read More
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli

November 04, 2021

On Friday, July 23, 2021, Kasandra’s 10-month-old son was eating butternut squash ravioli when he began to choke. Kasandra shared with us that her son turned completely blue, was listless, and losing consciousness. She used the Dechoker® device and thankfully the food was dislodged with one pull...
Read More
15-Month-Old Saved from Choking on Animal Cracker
15-Month-Old Saved from Choking on Animal Cracker

November 02, 2021

Choking emergencies can happen in seconds, leaving little to no time to respond. The parents of this toddler acted swiftly and appropriately, doing everything that is recommended by the American Red Cross, first responders, and medical personnel. When this protocol wasn't working for them, they reached for the Dechoker and cleared the 15-month-old's airway...
Read More