Common Choking Hazards in the Summer | First Aid Kit | Dechoker - Dechoker LLC

3-Year-Old Choked on PB&J, Saved by Dechoker®

October 27, 2021

3-Year-Old Choked on PB&J, Saved by Dechoker®

Some of the most texturally challenging foods like peanut butter on soft bread are significant choking hazards because they are harder to chew and swallow. When peanut butter gets lodged in someone's throat, it conforms and blocks the airway. That is precisely what happened to the three-year-old who is the 235th real-life saved by Dechoker®. 

When LaBreeska heard her toddler struggling to breathe, she knew she had to act quickly. She quickly grabbed the Dechoker® from her diaper bag, and used it with just one try, and saved her little boy. She recounts the terrifying moments:

"My 3-year-old was choking (like could not breathe) on a pb&j. He had stuffed too much in his mouth (as usual, even though I warn him not to), and it got stuck in his throat. I heard the horrific sound of him struggling to breathe. I saw the look of sheer horror in his eyes. I knew this wasn't a normal getting choked up on something. This was the big one that we were all terrified of. I ran and grabbed our Dechoker® from the diaper bag. (We keep it there, so we always know where it is, and it travels with us). I had him spit out what he could, then put it up to his mouth and pulled back hard and quick. It sucked it right out in one try, and I immediately heard him gasp and take his first clear breath. We both started bawling. The Dechoker® saved my baby's life today. It all happened so quickly. I could've lost him just as quickly. There's no way I could've gotten that thick peanut butter sludge out of his throat. Thank you!!! Thank you to my husband for purchasing it ‘just in case.’”

These "just in case" moments can happen quickly, and it's important to be prepared if they do.  We highly recommend having the Dechoker® nearby as an added first aid item.

 

Peanut Butter is a Significant Choking Hazard

A spoonful of peanut butter can form globs that clog the throat and block the windpipe. This can also stick to the lining of the throat, which can make it difficult to breathe. This can also happen with other sticky foods like fruit snacks, cheese cubes, caramels, jellybeans, and gummies.

To reduce this risk, we recommend serving peanut butter thinly smeared between slices of bread. The sandwich should then be cut into ¼-½ inch pieces. It also is not recommended to eat peanut butter by the spoonful.

 

Learn Choking Prevention as a Family

It is essential to discuss the risk of choking with your children and foods that cause choking, which can pose more of a threat than household objects. We recommend working to develop good eating habits, and taking the time to explain these habits to your children using the following suggested phrases:

  • Chew your food thoroughly and carefully. There's no need to rush. Sometimes people choke when they try to swallow too much, too fast.
  • Don't eat while running around. You might not be able to swallow your food easily! Eating should be calm and still.
  • Don't eat while lying down. Sure, it sounds nice to have a snack while lying down, watching TV, but it's hard to swallow when you're lying down, even for grown-ups. It would help if you always were sitting upright while you eat.


Also in Real Life Save Stories

Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl
Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

November 05, 2021

An 11-month-old girl got ahold of a piece of cantaloupe that had dropped on the floor. Her parents did not notice it until their little girl began to turn blue. A typical morning turned into a choking emergency within seconds...
Read More
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti

November 04, 2021

Despite our best baby-proofing efforts, some things slip under the parental radar—and many of those things are tiny. We're talking about loose change, pen caps, stickers and confetti. Unfortunately, these “little things” that we have around the house or use as party decorations can be choking hazards that often go unnoticed...
Read More
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli

November 04, 2021

On Friday, July 23, 2021, Kasandra’s 10-month-old son was eating butternut squash ravioli when he began to choke. Kasandra shared with us that her son turned completely blue, was listless, and losing consciousness. She used the Dechoker® device and thankfully the food was dislodged with one pull...
Read More