Common Choking Hazards in the Summer | First Aid Kit | Dechoker - Dechoker LLC

Dechoker® Saves 10-Month-Old When 911 Connection Fails

October 27, 2021

Dechoker® Saves 10-Month-Old When 911 Connection Fails

Life Save 236 has many important components to highlight. These parents did everything correctly when their son started to choke. They called 911, and performed abdominal thrusts, but neither of these was effective.

Erika's toddler began to choke on a gummy snack while in a parking lot. Not only was Erika away from home when this incident happened, but when her husband reacted quickly and called 911, he was unable to get a connection. The typical first aid protocol they tried to perform also did not work. Luckily, and as time passed quickly, Erika got the Dechoker® from her car and saved her son's life. Erika recalled:

"My 10-month-old choked on a fruit snack in the parking lot and stopped breathing. Luckily, I was right next to him, and when nothing else worked, I grabbed the Dechoker® from the car. I bought extras [Dechokers®] to make sure I always have one with me. It took a few tries, but it came out, and he's perfectly fine. My husband's phone wouldn't connect to call 911, so I don't know that paramedics would have been able to make it in time to help him. Thank you."

Choking is one of the leading causes of accidental death, and first responders, caregivers, and others should have every possible defense at their fingertips. When someone is choking, time is an extremely important factor.

 

Why the Dechoker® is an Option in a Choking Emergency 

We recommend the easy-to-use Dechoker® device not as a replacement for traditional treatments, but as an available alternative if those treatments are unsuccessful. Just as defibrillators are now found in many public spaces to help in heart health emergencies, we believe there should be a Dechoker® within reach in every school, every restaurant, and every emergency vehicle in the world.

In a choking emergency, a victim can suffer serious medical consequences after just four minutes without oxygen. Every moment counts in these dire situations. Statistics prove that help will not get to you in time during a choking emergency. The emergency response time in the U.S. is between 8 and 4 minutes. A lack of oxygen to the brain can cause severe damage and brain injury within that time frame.

 

The Dechoker® is Easy to Use

The Dechoker® device is a life saving device which can be used as an airway clearance device on anyone 12 months and up. Dechoker recommends, first action Red Cross/AHA protocol if it fails continue CPR, and use the Dechoker device. Be sure and familiarize yourself with the Dechoker device and review our training video and be prepared before a choking emergency.

 

Dechoker® Facts

  • The Dechoker® device is ready to use right out of the box. We recommend that you inspect the device and familiarize yourself and your family with how the Dechoker® works.
  • The Dechoker® device is available based on age and relative size, including toddlers, children, and adults.
  • The Dechoker® is small, making it easy to store in nearly any location or take with you outside the home.


Also in Real Life Save Stories

Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl
Save #217 - Dechoker® Clears Cantaloupe from Airway of 11-Month-Old Girl

November 05, 2021

An 11-month-old girl got ahold of a piece of cantaloupe that had dropped on the floor. Her parents did not notice it until their little girl began to turn blue. A typical morning turned into a choking emergency within seconds...
Read More
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti
Toddler Chokes on Foil Confetti

November 04, 2021

Despite our best baby-proofing efforts, some things slip under the parental radar—and many of those things are tiny. We're talking about loose change, pen caps, stickers and confetti. Unfortunately, these “little things” that we have around the house or use as party decorations can be choking hazards that often go unnoticed...
Read More
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli
Mother Saves 10-Month-Old from Choking on Ravioli

November 04, 2021

On Friday, July 23, 2021, Kasandra’s 10-month-old son was eating butternut squash ravioli when he began to choke. Kasandra shared with us that her son turned completely blue, was listless, and losing consciousness. She used the Dechoker® device and thankfully the food was dislodged with one pull...
Read More